My Family

My Family
Easter 2014

Saturday, January 4, 2014

Molasses Sandwich Cookies

For 11 years now I've hosted a Christmas cookie exchange dinner party for 12. I look forward to it every year, not just for the delicious assortment of goodies, but also because it's worth it to me to be able to set aside a night to visit with a few girlfriends, new and old, during the busiest time of year by enjoying a nice dinner, dessert and games together.  This year I came across a cookie I wanted to make but couldn't find the recipe, so I combined two recipes to make these  Molasses Sandwich Cookies.  I wound up making a total of 24 dozen this year and giving away lots as gifts. My family wishes I wouldn't have given so many away, because they still wanted more. So here is the yummy recipe, I know I'll definitely be making again next Christmas!

Molasses Sandwich Cookies

• 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
• 2 cups sugar
• 2 eggs
• 1/2 cup molasses
• 4-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
• 4 teaspoons ground ginger
• 2 teaspoons baking soda
• 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
• 1 teaspoon ground cloves
• 1/4 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 cup Sugar crystals
• White Chocolate (melted) (1/2 pound)
• Green and Red Tube frosting or Green and Red (Wilton) melting chocolates.

FILLING:
• 1/2 cup shortening
• 1/2 cup butter, softened
• 2 cups confectioners' sugar
• ¼ cup milk
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
(Add more sugar if necessary for thick and creamy consistency)


Directions
Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and molasses. Combine the flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves and salt in a separate bowl; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.

Use a 1 inch cookie scoop to form dough into balls. Dip top 
rounded side of cookie ball into sugar crystals. Place crystal side up onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until tops are cracked. Flatten hot cookies slightly and cool on wire racks. 

Melt white chocolate and dip half of baked cooled cookies (6dozen), halfway into melted white chocolate, dry on waxed paper. 
Decorate Holly’s with green and red frosting 
or green and red melted chocolate. 
(I used a sandwich bag with a tiny piece of the corner cut off). 

Make Filling, cream shortening and butter together, add sugar milk and vanilla. Beat until smooth and creamy. Spread filling between a decorated cookie and a plain cookie to form a sandwich. 

Yield: 6 dozen sandwich cookies. (Recipe can be doubled, or larger sandwich cookies made using a 2 inch cookie scoop)

No comments: